Family Traditions

Does your family have any special traditions? Do you eat something non traditional?

Thanksgiving is usually spent at my in laws. We are quite the bunch, let me tell ya! We have 10 kids running around, 4 couples, 5 dogs and 1 great grandma. Yes we have a very full house. This year we are going to start a tradition of an ornament exchange. We will all buy an ornament and wrap it. Then whoever brought an ornament can pick a number to get a new ornament from the pile of ones brought. All our kids are very excited and looking forward to this. Usually after dinner we all chat or play games for awhile, then put kids to bed and off to shop. Last year was my first ever black Friday, it was crazy! But we had fun getting the things we needed. I stood in line with our 4 year old and my husband and oldest daughter went and found all our goodies.


Christmas-
For Christmas we do Christmas Eve at my moms in Nebraska. Again 10 kids running around, but only 2 couples and my mom. We always have waffles that morning. That is our major tradition. My mom makes great waffles! Then we usually visit for awhile maybe even get kids ready for a nap and then off to open gifts. My mom gets everyone stockings and stuffs them full. The bad thing is when we have to leave that night and come home.
Every year we buy our kids an ornament. I do this so that when they go off to school or get married and have a place of their own, they will have a started tree. When the kids were little I bought them pj's every year and it was the first thing they opened. That way they could go change and finish opening all their gifts. Another tradition we have started a couple years back is that they all pick out their own wrapping. I do not buy labels. I wrap all their gifts in their specific paper. It also helps the younger kids who like to play Santa, and hand out gifts. They don't have to read just pick the right wrapping.
It has been fun sitting here and thinking about the different things that we do every year. I love making traditions for my kids and hope that they might take some of them with them when they start a family....
I really would like to hear about yours. You might even share something that one of us would like to try.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Punch Recipe

Rockin Green Guru Detergent Review and Giveaway

NeaterFeeder Giveaway